Friday, August 20, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (The Movie)



I just found out that Noomi Rapace, who played Lisbeth Salander (the girl with the dragon tattoo) in the Swedish version of the movie, may be nominated for an Oscar for her role. 

As soon as I finished reading the book, I stopped by the RedBox to grab a copy of the movie (the Swedish, subtitled version.)  And although a few of the characters didn't really look as I expected that they would, including lead character Blomkvist and his business partner Erika Berger, most of the rest of them did (especially Harriet, Henrik and Martin.)  But When I first saw Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth, I thought, "Wow!  Perfect casting!"  She looked and acted exactly like the character in the book.  Exactly!

The movie veered off of the book in a few ways, which they usually tend to do, so I tried not to be bothered by that; in the end, the result was the same. And there was the fact that it was clearly not a "big-budget" picture.  Sounds were a little funny, cutaways were abrupt and sometimes a scene started and you had to get your bearings to realize what was going on.  The American remake will undoubtedly blow this original film away.  Rooney Mara, a virtual unknown, is set for the lead role in our version.  (And sometimes that's a good thing!)

So, I said all of this to say that I hope Noomi Rapace at least gets the nod. She was very good! And I hope we get to see more of her versatility in in the US.  If she spoke English (and I don't know that she doesn't), she would be perfect to play the American version as well.  She did all three Millenium Trilogy movies as well as the Swedish TV series called Millenium, also based on the books.

By the way, If you haven't read the book, read it.  It's slow to start but once it gets going, it's a really good story.  It's definitely worth all the hype.

No comments:

Thanks for stopping by! You are visitor number: