Sunday, April 8, 2012

Memoir of a Mermaid Review

Memoir of a Mermaid: When, at last, he found me. (Book #1) Memoir of a Mermaid: When, at last, he found me. (Book #1) by Adrianna Stepiano
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For some reason, it felt like it took me a long time to get through this book. It's a good story but the writing style is more suitable for a much younger reader. The language slips back and forth between active and passive throughout the whole story, which drives me nuts. Also, the characters' ages are hard to discern. At first I thought Joseph was a teenager based on the way he reacted to Seraphin when he first met her (16?), then it turns out he's a top researcher with CORE (30?), then I find out he's still a college student (okay, 20!). And Seraphin says things that a normal 18-year-old would never say such as this: “Excuse me? How could I have told you? You and Nasani were nowhere to be found—telling us nothing of your whereabouts.”  Ugh - uncomfortable!

The overall story line is cute, though, and I think teens would enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend it for adult readers, though.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! I READ IT NON-STOP

Casi K. said...

I liked the story, I just didn't like the writing style. I believe this was the author's first book. If so, she can only get better! :) Thank you for your comment.

Thanks for stopping by! You are visitor number: