Thursday, March 8, 2012

Angelfall: Penryn & The End of Days

I've been reading a lot lately.  Maybe it's because I love my Nook Color so much that I'm always looking for new stuff to keep me occupied. Maybe it's because I can't stand all of the talking and commercials on the radio so I indulge in the virtually endless supply of "free" audio books supplied by my local library.  Maybe it's because sometimes its nice to just get away from my own life and live a fantasy or romance or adventure filled with unrealistic goals and unattainable desires (like having wings or magical powers).  In any case, when I get the chance, my nose is always in a book.

The last book that I finished was called Angelfall: Penryn & The End of Days (Book #1) by Susan Ee.  It's a teen paranormal fantasy novel which I initially purchased for my 14-year-old daughter.  However, the premise of the book interested me so I added it to my TBR list as well.

This book was so unexpectedly good!  It takes place right after the apocalypse.  However, it wasn't a giant orb from space or another Ice Age that caused earth's demise; it was angels.  (Interesting, right?)

The title character, Penryn has a similar strength and sense of humor to Maximum Ride (from the James Patterson series).  However, Penryn is human; she has no wings and she fights every day to keep her mother and little sister out of harm's way - away from street gangs, rogue angels and other unknown entities.  She is very smart and trusts no one, not even her own mother (read it and you will see why!)

I highly recommend this story.  However, there is one caveat.  The next book in the series is not due out until later this year (an actual publication date has not yet been announced.)  So if you enjoy this book as much as I did and look forward to the sequel, you may have a few months to wait.  I'm drumming my fingers waiting patiently right now...

Mom review: Mild violence and adult inferences. Recommended for ages 12 and up.

No comments:

Thanks for stopping by! You are visitor number: