Monday, August 2, 2010

I Love My Nook!

I'm an avid reader.  I read all the time.  I almost always have a book with me, just in case the remote possibility of boredom presents itself.  I am always fully armed to keep myself entertained with something riveting (or at least more interesting than staring at strangers while waiting for my turn at the DMV or standing in line at the Toronto airport.)

When Amazon first introduced the Kindle e-reader, my mom called me and said, "I think I've found something you'll love.  Take a look at the Kindle on Amazon."  I looked at it.  Really, it didn't catch my fancy and I'm not sure why.  I called her back and told her, "I don't really think I want that."  I mean, at the time, it was around $350 and for me to look at it and say, "Eh!" didn't really warrant spending that kind of money.  Then I saw an ad for the Nook.

Immediately, the Nook grabbed me.  I can't explain the pull.  Maybe it was the color touch screen.  Maybe it was the fact that it was linked to Barnes & Noble, my favorite bookstore.  Maybe it was the fact that I can download books from my local library right to my device for free.  Honestly I can't say.  But from the time it was presented until it was actually for sale, I had decided that that was what I wanted.

Last year, Christmas was a breeze for my husband.  All season I said to the kids, "If Daddy asks you what I want, tell him I want a Nook!  Now repeat that back to me. What does Mommy want?" I told my mom as a backup, just in case.  And, surprise, surprise, among all of the other wonderful things that I received for Christmas, I got my Nook! (Yes, my husband is awesome!)


Since then, we have been inseparable.  Any purse that I buy has to have enough room to carry it.  I have about 75 books on there, some read, quite a few still on the waiting list, some sideloaded in pdf format.  And since B&N offers new free books every Friday, my list keeps growing steadily and I am introduced to new authors that I probably never would have read otherwise.  And, of course, once I learned how to create my own screensavers and wallpapers, I was completely sold!


My daughter has her own Nook now, as does my mom.  We're a Nook family.  We have been known to spend hot Saturdays in a the confines of a cool B&N store, having lunch and taking advantage of the free coffee or dessert coupon (only presented while in the store).

I know that there are still people out there that would prefer a good old, page turning paperback, and that's fine.  But there are lots of advantages to the Nook, the main one being that I no longer have to find room to store all of those new books that I just can't live without reading.  Oh, and no more late fees from the library.  When a book is due, it's automatically "returned." 

The built-in hard drive holds 1500 books and the 4GB micro SD that I added means that I won't run out of room, or reading, for a long, long time. 

Seriously, if you're a reader and are trying to decide which e-reader to buy, I would suggest that you consider the Nook.  If you have any questions about it before you decide, feel free to drop me a line.  Or check out Unbound, B&N's Nook blog and hear from other happy Nook readers.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Thanks for stopping by! You are visitor number: