Monday, March 9, 2009

Watchmen: Waste of my time and money

This was the most boring movie I have ever seen. It was the biggest waste of $13 I have ever spent (we saw it at an IMAX!). I thought there would be action, excitement, maybe even some explanation of how these "heroes," aside from the very anal and boring Dr. Manhattan, obtained "super" powers. Why does Rorschach need to wear the crazy mask and why does it move? What was so funny about The Comedian? He was the darkest, meanest character there was. I understand "irony", I just wanted to know WHY he was like that.

Instead we got an incredibly corny and disjointed story that included attempted rape, prostitution, homosexuality, child abuse, bullying, alcoholism, violence, gratuitous sex and nudity with no real substance.

I know there are a lot of fans that have read the comic and probably really enjoyed this movie. I tend to be the type of person that likes to read (usually novels, not comics) before I see the movie it was made into because I truly believe that back story really makes a difference.

However, I also believe that a person should be able to see a movie and enjoy it just as well without knowing the back story if they so choose. I never read Spiderman or Superman or X-Men and really enjoyed ALL of those movies (and their sequels) immensely. This is not the case with Watchmen. I was bored by a movie that did not elicit any emotion from me for any of the characters at all.

The single bright light for me was Jackie Earl Haley's portrayal as Rorschach. His prison scenes were the most compelling and humorous. I found myself just waiting for what would happen next while he was there.

Do not waste your money on this snooze fest unless you are a true fan. Otherwise, save your money for Transformers 2 or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. There's guaranteed to be more action and less sleeping in those movies!

No comments:

Thanks for stopping by! You are visitor number: